Learning the laws regulating the use of firearms is a must for responsible ownership. Local regulations differ and laws vary from state to state. Citizens must check with the jurisdiction where the gun is to be used.
The Sheriff and his staff are required to follow strict state guidelines when performing the necessary background checks for Concealed Weapon Permits. Due to the nature of the detailed due dilligence, appointment times and processing times can take multiple weeks. During the application process, you will be asked to schedule an appointment (for New and Renewal CCW permits). Please note that you will be asked to pay now to reserve your appointment. We will also accept citizens who did not make an appointment. The process should take about 15 to 20 minutes per applicant.
Concealed Weapon Permits can be obtained from the county sheriff of your county of residence.
- A New Concealed Weapon Permit costs $81.00, which includes the $1.00 fingerprinting fee.
- A Renewal Concealed Weapon Permit costs $75.00.
- A New Concealed Weapon Permit for Retired Law Enforcement costs $45.00.
- A Renewal Concealed Weapon Permit for Retired Law Enforcement costs $40.00.
- A Duplicate Concealed Weapon Permit costs $15.00
- For a CHANGE OF ADDRESS you MUST have a valid Carteret County Conceal Carry Permit. NOTE: If your permit is from another county, you MUST contact that county's Sheriff's Office that issued the permit first.
- ATTENTION RENEWALS: you MUST wait to apply when you are within 90 days of your expiration date.
- Click on the appropriate links to the left to start your application
Gaining competency with firearms is like learning to drive a car or fly an airplane. You need expert instruction and practice. There is no shortcut. If you are not willing to invest the time and effort to become competent, then having a firearm and trying to use it can, in many instances, be more hazardous than any impending threat.
Permit to Carry Information